Sunday, May 31, 2009

End of the year

Here we are, counting down the days until summer vacation! As the kids get anstier, and my patience wanes, I wind down my theme work and look to activities which review learnt vocabulary. Often this includes games of all kinds. One I particularly like is 'Reloj', a card game from Spain. This works best in smaller classes or groups.
To play:
You will need several decks of cards (I use 5 decks for a class of 12)- remove the queens and the jokers.

To play:
-all cards are dealt evenly to players. Cards are kept face down.
-going clockwise, first player turns over top card, places it in center of table and says ‘reloj’. next player turns over his/her card and says ‘uno’. next player does the same, saying ‘dos’- play continues in this manner counting up to ‘rey’ (12). when players get to ‘rey’, counting starts again at ‘reloj’.
-as cards are played into the middle of the table, should a player turn over a card which holds the same value as the number he/she calls out, player must take all of the cards in the center. (So if player says 'dos' and turns over a 2, player takes all of the cards in the middle) No cards are taken when ‘reloj’ is said since it does not represent a number.
-play continues until one player goes out.

cards are counted in this order:
reloj
uno
dos
tres
cuatro
cinco
seis
siete
ocho
nueve
sota (10)
caballo (jack)
rey (king)

Disfrutalo!

1 comment:

Jennifer and Shawn Donovan said...

Julie~

Thanks for another great post! We are winding down the school year here in Vermont too and I always get stuck for end of the year games and activities to review previous units. Everyone has a hard time focusing during this time of the year!!
I received the brochure for the workshop this July at Penobscot and I was wondering if it is going to be the same as last year? I noticed that it is called something different. I had a fabulous time last summer and I felt excited to start the year with new ideas. On grades K-4, I focused a lot more on writing this year because of your tips and ideas. The students had a great time and a very successful year. However, I feel like I did not connect well with the 5th/6th graders and I would really like to get more ideas for teaching this age group. I would love to attend the workshop again in Maine but do you think it would be helpful for me?
Hope all is well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!!
~Jen
donovanvt@gmail.com