Saturday, August 2, 2008

Tips for the itinerant teacher, Part 1

Oh, the joy of going from class to class, instead of having our own classroom. This is, unfortunately, the reality of many elementary FL teachers. The key to making it successful is organization, organization, organization. Here are some ways I keep it all together.
-I use a tool bag (Husky brand), one for each grade level, to carry my materials in. The bags have loads of pockets, are very durable, and have a long strap so I can carry it over my shoulder. Many teachers use a cart, but, for various reasons, that just hasn't worked well for me. (Once a cart I was using fell down a flight of stairs, materials flying everywhere- what fun!)
-For each grade level I teach I keep a three ring binder divided into the classes for that grade. In each section, I have a classlist, assessment sheets, and a seating chart. I carry this binder at all times in my tool bag.
-I use ziploc bags (the kind with the slider at the top) to transport and store all kinds of materials. Flashcards, small visuals, small manipulatives, game pieces, name tags, and so on all fit well into the bags, are easy to see, and easy to pull out for use. They are also great for organizing individual sets of materials to be distributed to students.

Look for Part 2 soon!

No comments: